Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Nicknaming

My question of the day is 'do you nickname'?  I have always been someone who can easily come up with nicknames for my friends, family, and pets.  This has been just as easy for me with our baby.  Sometimes my nicknames directly coordinate with whom I am talking about and other times a made up or unrelated word just hits me and I can't help but calling that person that name from that point on......I know, kinda weird. 

For example, you will not find me calling Michael, 'Michael' very often.  I call him Dubbie, Dubs or Dep almost all the time.  I cannot tell you how I came up with it. I called him Dubs one day years ago and it stuck. I alter it into other forms depending on the day hence the Dubbie and Dep.

I didn't nickname our baby right away.  It was not until I started to feel it moving that I thought of a true nickname to call it.  I didn't feel much movement until approximately 20 weeks into our pregnancy.  I loved getting to feel those first movements and finally knowing without a shadow of a doubt they were really the baby's movements and not just my tummy :).  As the baby grew and it's movements became stronger Michael always asked me 'what does it feel like when the baby moves?'  One day I explained it as feeling a little like having an alien inside my body, totally amazing.  At that time, we started calling the baby 'Monster' or 'The Monster'.  I know, it's probably not the 'sweet' little nickname you were expecting but it just fit.  Michael and I call it 'Little Monster' everyday.

Examples of how we use this nickname:

Michael- "Has The Monster been moving around a lot today?"

We have even turned the babies nickname into a verb, example:

Danielle: "The Monster is really monstering right now!"  "Come over here and feel my belly!"

Definition of MONSTERING (verb):
1: the act or process of a baby moving inside its mother's womb: a change of position of a baby within the womb that sometimes makes the mother's stomach morph into strange shapes and forms that can be seen and felt outside the body:  this is the act of 'monstering'.

Michael and I really enjoy seeing/feeling our baby 'Monstering'

LOL, I better stop now before I scare you all away from this blog.  Believe me, we laugh a lot about this nickname. 

This conversation brings up my original questions from the beginning   Are you a nicknamer?  And, do you nickname your loved ones?  I personally think it's very fun thing to do and nicknaming helps me form a fun bonds with people (in a loving way of course).  I think my sister may hold the record for most nicknames from me over the years, she has also had the strangest ones.  That could be a whole other post itself so you will have to ask her about it :).

I saw that Target has a pack of monster onesies for little boys so if this baby is a boy we may have to purchase those :).  We will have to see what kind of nicknames we come up with for our Monster once we get to live with it day in and day out.  I will get back to you on that one in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment